Tuition Waiver and Verification Form
Introduction - Tuition Waiver Scholarship Program
The State of Arizona supports Arizona Veterans wounded in action or injured in the line of duty, and dependents of Service Members killed in the line of duty with a tuition-free education through Tuition Waiver scholarships, as outlined in A.R.S 15-1808.
Veterans and surviving dependents eligible for the Tuition Waiver scholarship have tuition expenses waived for credits needed to obtain an undergraduate degree in any course of study. This benefit is only applicable to tuition expenses for on-campus and/or online undergraduate programs and excludes books, parking, course fees, and room/board, etc.
Students must meet the qualifications for admission and maintain satisfactory academic progress requirements to use the scholarship. The Tuition Waiver scholarships can be applied to undergraduate tuition expenses at any campus of the following State of Arizona public universities and community colleges:
- Arizona State University
- Arizona Western College
- Central Arizona College
- Cochise College
- Coconino Community College
- Eastern Arizona College
- Maricopa Community Colleges
- Chandler- Gilbert Community College
- Estrella Mountain Community College
- GateWay Community College
- Glendale Community College
- Mesa Community College
- Paradise Valley Community College
- Phoenix College
- Rio Salado Community College
- Mohave Community College
- Northland Pioneer College
- Northern Arizona University
- Pima Community College
- University of Arizona
- Yavapai College
Each state has their own eligibility requirements and authorizations for state benefit programs. Veteran and dependent tuition benefit programs sponsored by other states are not authorized to be utilized in the State of Arizona. Federal education benefits can be used concurrently with the Tuition Waiver program, if desired by the student.
As outlined in A.R.S 15-1808, applicants must meet ALL of the criteria outlined in their eligibility tier and submit all applicable documents for verification. The Tuition Waiver scholarship can only be utilized by the student that meets eligibility requirements and cannot be transferred to another individual:
Eligibility Tier 1 Applicant
A person who is a former member of the United States Armed Forces:
- Who received a Purple Heart Citation; AND
- Who was a resident of the State of Arizona or was stationed in Arizona at the time of the injury that resulted in the Purple Heart Citation; AND
- Whose disability rating, as determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, is 50% or more.
If you are a Veteran that meets all requirements in Eligibility Tier 1, but have less than a 50% rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs, please consider making an appointment with one of our Veteran Benefits Counselors (VBCs) HERE to help you review your rating at no-cost.
Eligibility Tier 2 Applicant
A surviving dependent who is an unremarried spouse and/or child up to age 30:
- Whose sponsor was an Arizona National Guard Member or member of the United States Armed Forces AND
- Who was a resident of the state of Arizona or stationed in Arizona AND
- Who was killed in the line of duty or who died from injuries suffered in the line of duty while traveling to or from duty.
Eligibility Tier 3 Applicant
A current member of the Arizona National Guard:
- Who received a Purple Heart Citation on or after September 11, 2001
Eligibility Tier 4 Applicant
A former member of the Arizona National Guard:
- Who was medically discharged from the Arizona National Guard due to an injury or disability suffered:
- During status under title 10, United States Code; OR
- In weekend training status; OR
- In annual training status; OR
- In response to a state of emergency declared by the Governor.
How to Apply
Please fill out the Tuition Waiver Verification Form (available for download by clicking (HERE)) and provide applicable documents for verification by the Arizona Department of Veterans’ Services.
Email the completed form and documents to: [email protected]
Or, return the completed form and copies of documents by postal mail to:
Arizona Department of Veterans’ Services
3839 N 3rd St - Suite 209
Phoenix, AZ 85012-1570
For questions, email [email protected] or call 602-234-5804
If you do not meet eligibility requirements for the Tuition Waiver scholarship, it is recommended to:
- Contact the school’s Veteran Services office to assist you in identifying and applying for other financial aid and scholarship programs
- Contact www.BeConnectedaz.org at 866-429-8387 for support and resources for higher education, housing, employment, and more. If you are interested in no-cost career navigation services to connect you to gainful employment opportunities, professional development, training opportunities and resources http://connectveterans.org/careernav/