Volunteer at Phoenix Home
Volunteers are Awesome
Volunteers are an important part of the Arizona State Veteran Home. Volunteers are the constant reminder to our Veterans that the community appreciates the sacrifices they have made for our Country. Through visiting the home on a weekly, monthly or quarterly basis, individual volunteers and organizations make the Arizona State Veteran Home a thriving hub of activity and social exchange.
Our Volunteer program offers a variety of opportunities to spend time with Veterans to show them that they are appreciated. If you can not find one that interests you, please let us know so we can design one especially to meet your needs. You may volunteer in the operations of the home such as being an escort for veterans to hospital appointments or a clerk in our gift shop. We offer 5 areas of volunteer experience:
- Recreational Therapy activities: This program include assisting the Rec Therapy team in providing meaningful programs throughout the day. This may include bingo, concerts, socials, cooking, crafts, and movies. This will give you a chance to interact and socialize with the veterans.
- Special Events: This program is for individuals and groups who would like to come in for a day to sing, dance or show their appreciation to our Veterans in some other creative manner. This program is ideal for musicians, artists, school or scouting groups.
- Program Sponsorship: The Program Sponsorship is great for organizations, a family or a group of friends. This program allows groups to come in once a month, once a quarter or once a year to provide a special program to the veterans. For example we currently have the Elks and the American Legion who sponsor bingo nights. They bring in all of the volunteers, we provide the supplies and they run the games. We are looking for others to make a commitment to organize poker, pinochle or other games.
- Caring Companion: The Caring Companion Program is for people who are able to come in on a weekly basis to visit with a veteran. Volunteers come in and do a variety of activities such as reading them the newspaper, playing a game of cards or taking them next door for a stroll in Steele Indian School park. Our veterans who do not have family members close by are usually placed in this program. This allows the veterans with minimal visitors to have someone in the community become their "adopted" family.
The Arizona State Veteran’s home thanks you for your donation and willingness to give back. We have conducted a list of acceptable and desired items. If you have any questions about a donation, do not hesitate to give a call and inquire.
- Elastic waist shorts (sizes large to 3XL)
- Short sleeved T-shirts (sizes large to 3XL)
- Baseball caps
- Tennis shoes (larger sizes, wide width)
- Elastic waist sweatpants (sizes large to 3XL)
- Sweatshirts and zip up hoodies (sizes large to 3XL)
- Long sleeved t-shirts (sizes large to 3XL)
- Slippers (various sizes)
Things needed year round:
- Snack bags of chips
- Soft cookies
- NA Beer
- Tote bags for back of wheelchairs
- Cup holders for wheelchairs
- Insolated travel mugs
We are NOT Allowed to Accept
- Medical supplies
- Hygiene products
- Books or magazines( at this time)
- DVD’s and movies (at this time)
- Puzzles more than 100 pieces
- Worn, used clothing