Honor Your Service to Our Country
While Supporting the Arizona Veterans Donation Fund
Purchase an Arizona Veteran License Plate: $17 of the $25 special plate fee goes to the Arizona Veterans Donations Fund, which is used in many ways to help Arizona’s veteran community:
- Veteran Health Care
- Veteran Education
- Veteran Memorial Cemeteries (maintenance)
- State Veteran’s Homes (currently Phoenix & Tucson)
By law, the Arizona Veterans Donation Fund is used only for Arizona’s veteran programs and cannot be absorbed into the state’s general fund.
All-in Costs to You: $25 initial purchase cost for veteran standard plate, plus $25 annual renewal. Note that annual renewal fee for personalization aspect of a standard veteran plate is waived by state statute, in addition to all applicable vehicle licensing and registration fees.
Applicant Must be A Veteran: You must provide a copy of the appropriate form as proof: a DD214, 215, 2A, 2 (retired), 2 (reserve) or 1173; or provide an original statement of honorable service from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the Arizona Department of Veterans' Services (ADVS). For more details on what identification is accepted by the Arizona MVD, please review the Questions & Answers at the bottom of this page.
Why not Personalize It? Your Veterans Plate may be personalized for an additional $25 (in other words $50 total initial purchase cost for a personalized veteran standard plate). Veteran Plates may also be issued to the spouse, parent, child, brother, or sister of an eligible person who has been issued this plate.
Need the Disability Symbol? A Veterans License Plate with Handicap symbol is also available with the disability symbol added to qualified applicants' plate at no additional charge. Form #96-0104 (available online at www.azdot.gov must be attached. Some applicants may be able to use Form 40-0112 for placard renewal/replacement.
|New Plate Amount - Initial Purchase Costs||Annual Renewal Amount|
Veterans plates now available for motorcycles!
|Standard Veteran or Women Veterans Plate base cost = $25||base renewal cost = $25|
|Standard Veteran Personalized Plate additional cost = add $25||no annual renewal cost for standard veteran plate|
|Women's Veteran Personalized Plate additional cost = add $25||additional renewal cost = $25*|
*Note: The state statute for Women Veterans plate renewal does not waive the personalization renewal fee as the veteran standard plate does.
Above costs and fees are in addition to all applicable vehicle licensing fees.
The Arizona Veterans License Plate was designed by ADOT at the request of the veteran community to serve multiple purposes. The main functions are:
- to allow veterans to display their pride in their honorable military service to our country
- to fund programs for the veterans of Arizona.
- Remember: $17 of the plate purchase price each year goes directly to the Arizona Veterans Donation Fund, which is also tax deductible! It's a win-win!
Commonly Asked Questions & Answers
Q. Who is eligible for the Arizona Veteran License Plate?
A. ARS § 28-2414 allows for the plate to be issued to:
- a person who submits satisfactory proof to the department that the person is a veteran.
- an immediate family member of a person who has been issued a license plate pursuant to this section
Q. What is satisfactory proof of veteran status?
A. Per ADOT / MVD policy 12.2.38: The division is authorized to issue a Veteran special plate. Special plate application #96-0143 (available online at www.azdot.gov) is required. One of the following documents must be present at the time of the application.
- Copy of the DD214, 215, ( 2-retired ), ( 2-reserve ) or 1173
- Original statement of Honorable service from the department of Veteran Affairs or the Arizona department of Veteran Services
- American Legion card
- Disabled American Veterans card
- Military Officers of America card
- Veterans Administration Medical card
- Veteran of Foreign Wars card
- Military Order of the Purple Heart
- Vietnam Veterans of America card
- Active duty card
- Inactive duty card
- A spouse or a family member of a Veteran, who has already been issued this plate, may apply for the Veteran plate
Q. Can I renew my registration by phone?
A. Yes, if your vehicle does not require emission testing, or the emission testing has already been done (and you have documented proof). You can renew the registration up to 6 months in advance. The Arizona Veteran License Plate will replace your current plate and the veteran plate will become renewable at the same time as your current plate. Vehicles with a current 2-year registration require that the Arizona Veteran License Plate be purchased for two years also.
Q. When will I receive my new plates?
A. The Arizona Veteran License Plate, along with new MONTH and YEAR registration tags/stickers will be mailed to you within 5 business days.
Q. What do I do with my old plates?
A. You can send your old plates back to MVD or simply discard them.
Q. I’m ready for an Arizona Veteran License Plate? What do I do now?
A. Please go to www.azdot.gov for office locations.
B. As of January 25, 2017, you may now get your Veteran specialty license plates like these ONLINE at ServiceArizona.com.